10 November 2013

Five MILES Under My Belt

Last weekend, I participated in the Beauty and The Beach run with my two race buddies. While we've done our share of 5K races together, the distance for this race was 5 MILES. Now that may not seem like much to some long time runners, but I've not pushed myself to do too much beyond the 3.1 miles that equal a 5K.

I've been also dealing with an IT band injury and going to PT for the past few weeks. Seeing that I've gotten relief from the pain and knee buckling that I was having, I decided if I wasn't hurting on Friday, I was doing this race - even if I meant I had to crawl across the finish line. I went for a slow, short run on Wednesday and didn't have any issues. I talked to my therapist and decided to be cautious but do the race.

I decided to run/walk this (as usual - I'm not up to running a full 5K distance yet) using a 3 minute run/1 minute walk interval. I have a bad habit of going out too fast at the beginning and getting winded early. This time I still went out a little faster than I intended (10:00 for first mile which was my fastest of the day) but when I crossed the finish line at 1:05:12, I wasn't winded. In fact, I felt like I could have gone another couple miles no issue.

I enjoyed the five mile distance maybe a little more than the 5K distance I've been doing. I wasn't sure I was going to be able to do it, but I surprised myself. Actually, after I hit the 2 mile mark, I had found a good pace and I told myself the next 3 miles would be a piece of cake. Well, not exactly a piece of cake, but it wasn't bad. I've already added another 5 mile race to my calendar - the Manasquan Turkey Trot on the 23rd. Now that I've got a baseline for the distance, we'll see if I can beat it. I'd be over the moon if I could do it in under an hour.

No comments: