07 April 2010

New 'Do


Self Portrait - 04/07/10
Originally uploaded by MarciNYC

A month or so ago, I had a makeover done at one of the cosmetic counters at Lord & Taylor. As a thank you with my purchase, I was given a free cut/style by a stylist from a nearby salon.

My hair is stick straight (does not hold a curl easily) and thick. If I put it up wet in a ponytail, 14 hours later - still wet at the core. As I'm growing it out, I've been struggling with it, swearing when it seems to have a mind of its own, not doing what I want it to do.

On impulse, I decided to let this stranger do the one thing I've always feared (after a previous botch job some 20 years ago): layer my hair. I talked to her, told here I didn't want them to be obvious but always wanted my hair to be manageable and have a little more movement. Once she was done, I saw the difference immediately. My hair went from heavy and lifeless to free and flowy.

It's been a few weeks and I'm still trying to achieve the exact look she managed (without use of a flat iron which I've never quite mastered). I think today it turned out pretty damn good and I managed to get a decent shot of myself. I'm happy with the cut and now have to make the decision to continue seeing my current stylist (who I adore and have been seeing for several years now) or give the gal who gave me this new look another chance.

1 comment:

LINDSAY said...

I think your hair looks lovely Marci! Once I leave the salon, it's never quite the same, I agree. I replied to your comment this morning on my blog :) Thanks for stopping by.