23 April 2010

Awesome Day


055
Originally uploaded by MarciNYC

My mom arrived, with her friend, Ron, on Wednesday evening for a visit. Yesterday we drove up to Liberty State Park to take the ferry to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty.

Me and my big mouth complained that every time someone comes to visit, if they haven't been here, I have to take them for a visit. Well, I'll never say that again... Yesterday, while we were there, The Boss, Bruce Springsteen, was receiving the Ellis Island Family Heritage Award.

I managed to be less than 10 feet from the man for a bit. Snapped a pic with my cell phone and sent it off to the BFF (the ultimate Springsteen fan) and get a text in reply" What? Where is this? Are you there? OMG! I texted back the specifics to get "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!" in reply. Took a lot more pics with my regular camera (which are on Flickr), but since I was off to the side, they're not the best. Still, I was less than 10 feet from an American icon.

After hearing him speak, the crowd dissipated and we bid farewell to Ellis Island and boarded the ferry to the Statue. We didn't get crown tickets (I did that climb once about 20 years - that was enough, TYVM) but we did have tickets giving us permission to climb the pedestal. They said it was 156 steps, but after going 142, the ranger said we had 40 more to go. (What sort of math is that?)

I made it up, but it was an ordeal. I don't like stairs. Particularly when the stairwell narrows so it's a one person width and if you look over the walls/rails, there a big chasm of nothingness - in this case, the innards of the Lady. Coming down was more of a challenge, I went really slow, was on the verge of freaking out, but I held it together. This was the easy part - hard to believe I climbed the narrow spiral staircase to the crown all those years ago. (Once committed, you can't turn around.)

After a brief rainstorm while we were up on the pedestal, the sun came back out. We drove back down to the shore, meeting my husband for dinner at Spike's in Point. Lobster bisque + lobster roll might just equal the most perfect meal. I was so stuffed, as much as I wanted a piece of key lime pie, I couldn't eat another bite. We ended the night strolling along the boardwalk in Point, then I took mom and Ron for a scenic ride home through Spring Lake, Belmar and Avon (along the ocean) before leaving them at the hotel and coming home.

It was a great day - though I was exhausted when I finally got home. Intended to go to bed early - but had to upload the pics. By the time I did get to bed, I was out before my head even hit the pillow.

2 comments:

Plant Girl said...

Sounds like an awesome day! Sometimes having to play tour guide has some unexpected advantages.

lorem ipsum said...

I think I had a few more exclamation points than that.

Seriously, though, I love reading about this. Even if you didn't have the camera. Okay, if you didn't, I'd be yelling at you for leaving it behind. :-)