03 February 2010

Waiting Patiently...

Last night I got a phone call, at home, after dinner from my GYN. Apparently my recent pap smear came back with some abnormalities. In short, it's LSIL - low grade squamous intraephithelial lesion. (I can say cholecystectomy fine, but this one's got my tongue twisted.)

I ended up Googling and worked myself into a frenzy, imagining the worse possible scenario, despite the ACOG site stating LSIL is very common and usually goes away on its own without treatment. I figure I'll be the anomaly.

This morning I called my doctor's office as requested to schedule a colposcopy, and depending on what Dr W sees, a possible biopsy. I'm booked for the afternoon of Feb 22nd, so now I must wait patiently, not consult Dr Google anymore, and refrain from freaking out. Easier said than done.

Fortunately, I have a great group of friends who remind me to think positively. As one friend said, if it were that serious, they'd get me right away. So, until the 22nd, I'll try to remain calm and accept that it's ok to be abnormal (for a little while).

---
Update (04-Feb-2010): After the fact, I realized that Dr W told me this couldn't be done during 'that time of the month' so I had to reschedule. The procedure has been pushed back a week to March 1st at 2:30. So now I really do have a month of having to keep calm and stay away from Google.

8 comments:

lorem ipsum said...

STEP

lorem ipsum said...

AWAY

lorem ipsum said...

FROM

lorem ipsum said...

THE

lorem ipsum said...

COMPUTER.

lorem ipsum said...

:-)

Nic said...

Fingers crossed for you. I've known loads of people who've had "abnormal" smears (the terminology used over here) and not one of them has subsequently had a serious problem... and you're not going to be the first :o)

DebbieJRT said...

I had an abnormal smear once and had to do the colposcopy thing, as well. Turned out to be nothing. The test isn't too bad. Mine was years ago, so I went to a Planned Parenthood clinic where the person doing the thing was learning, so she was not the best, but it felt like a momentary bad cramp and then it was done. A doctor will probably do a better job:-) I'll be sending good thoughts your way - the waiting is the hardest part.