26 February 2010

Rediscovering Lost Projects

One of the benefits of cleaning out closets is that you rediscover abandoned projects. Today I rifled through a bag in my craft room (yes, I have a craft room and it's utter chaos!) only to find several WIPs.

As I still like most of them enough to want to continue them, I decided to put them in the rotation and make finishing these projects the goal if I'm to purchase any new charts.

First up is Bent Creek's Kitty Cat Row. From the numerous pics of my two dogs, you might not know that I'm owned by four cats (Stanley, Sadie, Lily and Mac).

Time for me to get cracking on this - there's a notation on the chart that it's reserved for a friend of mine in New Zealand when I'm finished. I probably put that note there 3+ years ago -- Kath, have you found another copy of this chart yet?

I'm stitching this over one on 28 ct hand-dyed quaker cloth in Kiwi from Kiwi Illusions. There's a bit done already, so with the quantity of natural light increasing daily, I think I'll start plugging away on this. I've got a Daylight lamp in my stitching corner so that'll help after the sun goes down.

The next lost project (or in this case, tossed aside) are these Tulips from DMC. Some of you may remember I paid beaucoup bucks for this kit from DMC France only to find it offered as a freebie on the DMC-USA site a couple years later. There's some counting errors in it but I think I've managed to compensate for them.

Stitched on 28 ct Antique White Cashel, the center two tulips are complete and most of the far right (red) tulip is done. This might be slow going, but I'm going to make an effort to get this one done and framed before summer arrives. I love this piece - even if I paid too much for it.

Continuing on with the tulip theme is Nan's Garden from Annalee Waite Designs. I love how bright and cheery this piece is and should be able to bang it out pretty quickly once I put my mind to it.

Stitched on 28 ct Antique White jobelan (noticing a trend as to what count fabric I prefer to use?) with DMC floss it's a simple and beautiful piece. I've barely put a dent in this, so I may push this one aside while I concentrate on finishing the other projects.

The final 'abandoned project' found in that shopping bag is Sam Sarah's One Fine Day. (Yea, I like flowers, if you didn't notice.)

This piece is stitched on 28 ct (of course!) hand-dyed Golden Sands Cashel from Kiwi Illusions using Sampler Threads. It's a bright cheery piece. I think the fence post is going to be a bit tedious, but I'll get it done.

There's a bajillion Lizzie Kate pieces that I'm wanting to start, but I think I'll set them aside while I try to finish up these half-finished projects. I like these four well enough to want to put the time and effort into finishing them.

There's a few others that I will need to decide "finish or fling". They may end up in the bag of stuff that I'm planning to Freecycle once the spring arrives. I've been purging my stash and setting aside charts that I no longer care for. My tastes have changed over the years and while I probably could make some mad money listing the no longer wanted charts on eBay, it's just too much of a hassle. I'd rather Freecycle them as a lot and make someone's day.

Considering there's a list as long as my arm of new charts that I want, I better get busy stitching so I can treat myself to the new stuff.

2 comments:

Nic said...

Good luck with the UFOs - I'm really enjoying getting to grips with mine :o)

marci said...

Well, after working all of 5 minutes on Kitty Cat Row over one last night, I realized why I chucked it aside. Gonna try to salvage the fabric and then start it again over two. Was I nuts trying it over one? I can barely see it...