10 February 2010

Cookies! We Got Cookies!


Cookies!
Originally uploaded by MarciNYC

Over the holidays, one of items on my 'to do' list was to make my grandma's Christmas cookies. Unfortunately, the universe conspired against me and this, amongst a few other items, did not get done.

With the second round of the snowpocalyse upon us this week, I decided if I were stranded at home, I'd bake cookies for Valentine's Day to pass the time. So tonight, after shoveling what seemed like a football field or two of snow, I came inside and make cookies in lieu of dinner. (Husband informed me he wasn't hungry for dinner - never mind I had a pot roast in the crock pot.)

There's something so comforting about these cookies - they're a basic iced sugar cookie, but I have so many wonderful memories of eating these at my grandmother's and making them with my mom. I haven't had then in quite a few years - so it was time to make them. (Especially since mom didn't bother to send me any that she made at Christmas time.)

Grandma Streu's Christmas (Sugar) Cookies

  • 1 c. butter
  • 2 c. sugar
  • 2 T vanilla
  • 4 eggs'
  • 5 c. flour
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
Cream together butter, sugar and vanilla
Add eggs, then add baking powder and nutmeg
Mix in flour, a little at a time

Roll out dough on pastry cloth, approximately 1/4-1/2 thick. Cut out with cookie cutters.

Baked on greased cookie sheets at 350 for approximately 7 minutes.
(NB: I find that these cookies need a longer bake time - closer to 10 minutes with my oven.)

When cool, decorate with icing and colored sugar.

Icing
  • 1 T butter
  • 2-3 T milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla
Stir in approximately 1-1.5 c. powdered sugar.

No comments: