01 November 2009

Treats for Me

In yesterday's post, I mentioned that I took a trip up north to Tawny's - aka the LNS - and added to my stash.

Lizzie Kate's ABC Christmas (pictured left) is one of the designs I picked up along with the required fabric. I started it last night while waiting for the trick-or-treaters to come and am making good progress (lights thru mistletoe is complete).

As I would like to have this compete in time for Christmas 2009 (since my poinsettia piece will not be done) I will continue to work on this throughout football this afternoon and Game 4 of the World Series tonight. Let's go Yankees!

It's actually a fairly quick stitch - as most Lizzie Kate pieces are. It came with the Crescent Colors required and it's my first time stitching with them. I like them - though I've gotten tangled a few times working with the long lengths. I think that's more of a personal problem than an issue with the threads themselves.

The other chart that I picked up was Paradise Lost by Plum Street Samplers (pictured right).

I originally saw this design on another stitcher's blog as a WIP (work in progress) and simply fell in love with it. After getting over sticker shock ($22 for the chart alone), I bought it, but didn't get the fabric. I have a stash of wonderful hand dyed fabrics at home and though I would pull the threads and decide which fabric to use.

It calls for NPI silks but also gives a DMC colorway. Since I don't have a collection of NPI silks in my stash, I think this thrifty gal is going to go with the DMC options. So either the next sunny day or Friday (my day off) I'll be pulling threads and fabric and making a decision. Then this one will be added to the rotation and I'll alternate working on it with the LK design.

I think this might be the little nudge I need to jumpstart my creativity. While I'm recreating someone else's design, it's still a crafty venture and I've missed that. I'm working on some goals/structure in my life and feel the need to nurture my crafty side. I think that I will focus on making time for creative expression as that's been missing for a while. Now to balance it with everything else...

No comments: