17 August 2009

Fabulous Weekend

I've been in a downbeat mood for the past week, dealing with headaches, painters and my house in chaos, and a sick dog (Tara). My whirlwind trip was a welcomed getaway and needless to say it didn't disappoint.

When I planned this trip, I didn't realize it would coincide with the 2 year anniversary of my (step)dad's death/burial. I made the trip to Louisville to see my BBF yesterday -- who I haven't seen for two years to the day @ Homer's funeral. The reunion was wonderful, and bittersweet. I got to meet the wonder child, see the new house, and enjoy Graeter's ice cream. There are days like this when I have so much fun just 'hanging out', talking and laughing that I truly regret the distance between us. If only we lived closer together and could have these moments more frequently. At the very least, I vow not to let two years go by until we see each other again -- be it that I make a trip out to Kentucky for the weekend or convince her to bring the wonder child to the Jersey Shore.

It was also wonderful to see my mother again and spend time with her doing mother-daughter things - like shopping. Yes, I have become my mother and have awoken my inner passion for trolling through the clearance racks at Macy's in search of bargains. I found me a couple really awesome dresses - originally $159 each, on clearance for a whopping $16 each. Score! The only thing I didn't look for was shoes -- but honestly, my suitcase was stuffed coming home, I don't know if I could have fit in anything more.

It's Monday morning and I'm sitting here at the Columbus (OH) airport -- my 9:30 AM flight back to Philly has been delayed. I have no clue when it's supposed to take off - the plane isn't even here yet. Thank goodness for laptops and wireless internet. Otherwise, I'd be bored out of my gourd as I've finished all my books and fashion mags aren't really my cuppa. Book choices at the airport are limited - usually to dreck that I'm not even remotely interested in.

I'm anxious to get home, to see my husband, marvel in the new paint job, evaluate Tara and see if she needs that appointment with the V-E-T tonight, and get some much needed sleep in MY bed. As much as I love visiting, there's nothing better than you're own bed. I've slept fitfully the past two nights -- maybe the comforts of my home, my cats and my dogs will be the panacea I need.

No comments: