26 April 2009

Celebratory Ink


New Ink - April 2009
Originally uploaded by MarciNYC

To celebrate losing 50 pounds, I went out and got a new tattoo. In reality, it was something I had been wanting a while, but it just coordinated with the timing of me losing 50 pounds and the annual WW fashion show.

I'd been researching tattoo artists here on the Jersey Shore for a bit - trying to find someone to do the work. A week or so ago, Mark and I were at Kelly's for dinner and I asked our waiter where he was inked. He gave me a card for a guy up in the Highlands and I put it in my pocket. On Friday night, we were back at Kelly's, on the patio, and I noticed a guy across the bar and thought it was Jay - the artist whose card I had in my bag. Turned out it was and I had a nice conversation with him, showing him a photo of what I wanted. He told me he could do it and to give him a call.

On Saturday, I phoned the shop and he said he could do the work about 5 PM. So I went up to the Highlands (what a schlepp from my home) and after filling out the paperwork, I sat down in the chair and let him go to work. About 25-30 minutes - and a horrific reggae version of Hotel California - later it was done.

This photo was taken about 26 hours after -- I'm quite happy with how it came out. The original pic I had was a solid green shamrock, but I wanted the colors of the Irish flag instead. I'm most likely going to go back to Jay for some more work -- I want to have the tattoo on my shoulder covered up with something new. That will probably be the next work I have done. After that, who knows. Mark wants me to stop, but like potato chips, you can't just have one.

As of today, I've lost 50.4 pounds in just over 13 months. I've gone from a size 18/20 to a 10/12. I have 16 more pounds to go to reach Weight Watchers goal -- hoping that I'll make it by July 4th. But if I don't, it's okay. I've had a few roadblocks and detours already, so I'll get there eventually. I think I'd actually like to lose another 25 pounds but we'll see what I feel like when I lose the next 16. I'm wearing sizes that I haven't worn since before I was married and it feels great.

1 comment:

Nic said...

Not what I would have chosen to celebrate - I'm a wuss when it comes to pain! At least with piercings, it's over quickly :o)

Congratulations on the weight loss and the ink :o)