03 February 2009

Historical Fiction Reading Challenge

A group of ‘historical fiction buffs and I have made a reading challenge for 2009. Each participant will read a book that fit into each of the categories below.

I’ve put my (tentative) book selection below the description if I’ve made one, but there’s a few that remain TBD. If anyone has any suggestions (baring in mind that I’m a historical fiction junkie and have read a lot of HF novels), leave a comment for me.

  1. Read a book of Historical Fiction that is written about a "new to you" time period, person, or location.
    Daughter of the Sun - Barbara Wood
    (FINISHED 28 Jan 2009)

  2. Read a book of Historical Fiction set in your region.
    City of God Beverly Swerling
    (FINISHED 19 Jan 2009)


  3. Read a book of Historical Fiction that has been on your shelf for at least a year. If you don't have a year-old book, read one of the books you have had the longest.
    TBD - most likely some Plaidy book that Ive had forever.

  4. Read a book of Historical Fiction from a "new to you" author.
    The Dark Lantern - Gerri Brightwell
    (FINISHED 02 Mar 2009)

  5. Read a book of Historical Fiction with the word "murder" in the title.
    Murder in Montparnasse - Kerry Greenwood
    (FINISHED 10 Jan 2009)


  6. Solve a crime! Read one Historical Mystery.
    Mark of the Lion - Suzanne Arruda
    (FINISHED 26 Jan 2009)

  7. Be a patron of the arts! Read one book about a famous work of art, music, or the theatre.
    With Violets - Elizabeth Robards
    (FINISHED - 02 Mar 2009)


  8. Viva La Revolution! Read one Historical Fiction book about a revolution, set in the location of your choice.
    The Kitchen Boy - Robert Alexander
    (FINISHED - 16 Feb 2009)

  9. Off with her head! Read one book of Historical Fiction that has a headless lady on the cover.
    To Hold the Crown
    Jean Plaidy
    (FINISHED 03 Feb 2009)

  10. Feed your brain! Read one non-fiction history book. The topic is up to you.
    TBD - am considering The Lost, but I've got some reservations about reading that thanks to a certain friend's review. If that fails, there's some non-fiction books about Anne Boleyn that I've not read yet.
I'm halfway through the challenge of reading 10 books and it's only the beginning of February. I don't suppose being laid up for 10 days post-surgery had anything to do with that, eh? (Honestly, probably not -- I read about the same amount I would have if I didn't have surgery.)

5 comments:

Nic said...

I'm not sure it's about a "famous" work of art, but I enjoyed Iain Pears "The Portrait"

My favourite historical non fiction at the moment are "1700" by Maureen Waller and "The Pre-Raphaelites in Love" by Gay Daly, which is far better than the title makes it sound.

As for Revolution/Civil War - "March" by Geraldine Brooks is fab. I was trying to think of some fiction set in the English Civil War or The Glorious Revolution and there's not much. Even though much of the Revolution was plotted locally...

Valerie said...

I have some books on French courtesans and prostitution in the west that I haven't read yet. Those are history books, no? ;)

Stacey said...

Wow--I need to make time to read again. When I was a kid, I'd spend hours in my room reading. I miss it!

dearprudence said...

This is a great idea! I wish I had more time to read.

Thanks for participating in my blog giveaway! I loved your answer :)

And I WANT TO SEE YOUR SHOE COLLECTION! I'm so envious. And thank you for the suggestions. I'm so exciting to check those out!

soffitta1 said...

I really enjoyed Winter in Madrid, especially as I am interested in Spanish history. Iin the U.K., people tried to bill it as the new "Shadow of the Wind", but really these books have nothing in common except their Spanish setting.