21 January 2009

One week, a gallbladder, and 1.4 pounds later

Yes, I'm alive and well - surviving my surgery and the aftermath.

I went to same day surgery at 1 PM late Tuesday; starvin' marvin because I had an attack on Monday night and everything I ate for dinner came up. Of course, the OR got backed up, so while I was scheduled for surgery at 3:30 PM, I didn't go up to the holding area until 4 PM and was actually wheeled into surgery about 5:15 PM (that's the last thing I remember).

My surgeon came down and talked to Mark and my mom once she was done -- apparently my gallbladder was quite inflamed and full of stones. It was a good thing we got it out. When she came to say hello pre-surgery I told her I had an attack the night before and she told me she was really worried that I wouldn't make it to the surgery date. I'm a trooper!

I was in recovery by about 7:30 PM and taken to a room by 8 PM - just in time to watch the premiere of American Idol. I was up and about and discharged by 10:30 PM and home by 11 PM. Of course the ride home wasn't without a bit of drama... less than 2 miles from home, I screamed for mom to pull over and I projectile vomited along the side of the road. After that, I felt better.

I slept most of Wednesday (the day after) but was pretty much able to get around without too much assistance. As the week progressed, I was able to get around more and took a couple rides in the car to "blow the stink off" as my Mom likes to say. I didn't feel too much discomfort from the gas escaping, most of the discomfort was from the incisions, particularly the one directly above my navel.

Mom drove me to my Weight Watchers meeting on Sunday - I was determined to go, even if it tired me out for the rest of the day. I was a bit concerned that I wasn't going to lose anything since I was still a bit bloated that morning, but was pleasantly pleased that I was down another 1.4 pounds this week. (Considering that I didn't eat much of anything from noon Monday until dinnertime Wednesday, I hoped that I would lose.) So now I'm this much closer to my goal weight - yippee!

On Monday, I went in for my post-op checkup. My surgeon removed the steri-strips that hadn't fallen off and cleaned up the incisions. The one above my navel she applied another set of steri-strips and said by the time they fall off, it should be feeling better.
She told me that's the one most people complain about.Two days later and it's still tender, but it looks to be the largest of all the incisions.

I've been given the green light to drive, I can return to work next Monday (Jan 26th) and the gym on Feb 1st. I still can't do heavy lifting (although I am permitted to pick up my 18 lb dogs) and have to lay off the housekeeping (vacuuming) for another week. Mark asked what I was going to do for the next couple days while I'm home alone -- in all honestly, probably not much. I'm going to relax and try to get my energy back. I still tired easily. My surgeon recommended me taking the full 10 days post-surgery to recover -- I think I'll be glad for that once I go back to work.

Having my Mom here was quite a blessing -- she made dinner several nights and was there to shuttle me around as needed. I don't know what I would have done without her. She left yesterday and I'm feeling a bit lonely this morning.

Three more days of sick leave then I'm back to reality. While it's cold out and I want nothing more than to grab the dogs, a book and a pile of blankets and crawl back into bed, I think I should at least try to do something productive while I'm feeling a surge of energy. Then again, I don't want to overexert myself either.

The pile of library books to be read is getting smaller while the pile to be returned is growing larger. I think I'll try to finish another today and return a stack later this afternoon.

P.S. For the record, I forgot to ask the surgeon how much the gallbladder and gallstones weighed (nor did I get to keep the stones).

2 comments:

lorem ipsum said...

You're sounding better and better! Congratulations on the weight loss and overall improvement (projectile barfing notwithstanding).

Here's to a healthy, happy 2009!

Nic said...

I'm glad you are recovering well. Do take it easy, though and enjoy your time away from work!