15 December 2008

In Memoriam


Alan and Etta
Originally uploaded by MarciNYC

One year ago today, my FIL passed away. His wife (and Mark's stepmmother), Etta, had passed away earlier in the year. Add this to the fact that my (step)father, Homer, passed away in August, it's easy to say that 2007 was not the best of years for us.

When we went to Florida in November, we flew into Ft Lauderdale - both Mark and I commented that it was odd that we weren't going to visit his dad while we were down there.

While we lived up north and he lived down south, Mark spoke to his father daily. I would speak to him infrequently, but always enjoyed my conversations with him. Like me, he shared a love of reading and he and I would recommend or swap books amongst ourselves.

Tonight I sit here and remember my FIL with fond memories. I know he had a long life, filled with joys and sorrows. My life is richer for having known him - I only wish that we had more time to enjoy each other's company. I like to believe that Alan (as well as Etta and Homer) are with us still - if not in life, at least in spirit.

RIP Alan. You are missed by all of us.

No comments: