28 November 2008

Holiday Thanks

I realized yesterday, as I was finishing up my baking, that I really do have a lot to be thankful for, but often I take it for granted.

I want for nothing. I have a house over my head, food on my table, clothes to wear (although some are rather too large for me now), a wonderful husband and fantastic friends and family. I am lucky enough to be able to travel the world, indulge myself with assorted craft supplies and books, and hang out with my dogs and cats.

We spent Thanksgiving with my in-laws, meeting in Staten Island instead of driving all the way to my SIL's in Long Island. For that I am extremely grateful! Last year, a normal hour to 1h, 20m drive took us FOUR and a half hours. I did not want to do that again. The food was great, the company delightful. It's not the same as being with my family, but times change. Even Thanksgiving at my Mom's isn't the same anymore without my grandparents. I had fun, enjoyed the cameraderie and that's what's important.

I made a Praline-Pumpkin cake to take with us - it was delicious. Since a couple people asked for the recipe, here it is:

Praline-Pumpkin Cake

1 spray(s) cooking spray
15 oz canned pumpkin
12 oz fat-free evaporated milk
1/4 cup(s) fat-free egg substitute
1/2 cup(s) sugar
4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
18 1/4 oz unprepared white cake mix
1/2 cup(s) pecan halves, chopped
1/4 cup(s) reduced-calorie margarine, melted

Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat bottom and sides of a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan with cooking spray.

Stir pumpkin, milk, egg substitute, sugar and pumpkin pie spice together in a medium bowl until smooth; pour into pan. Sprinkle dry cake mix over pumpkin mixture and gently press it into pumpkin mixture to moisten. Sprinkle cake with pecans and then drizzle margarine evenly over top.

Bake, uncovered, until knife inserted in center of cake comes out clean, about 50 to 60 minutes. Cool completely before slicing into 16 pieces. (WW points info: 5 points for one slice.)

No comments: