04 November 2008

Election 2008: Get Out and Vote!

I believe polls are open across most of the Eastern US now - so my fellow Americans, get out there and VOTE!

Not even 100 years ago US women didn't have the right to vote. But a movement that started small and grew into a loud voice called for change. Women like Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Lucrecia Mott, Susan B. Anthony, and Alice Paul stood up for what they believed was right. In 1920, their dream came true -- American women were given the right to vote.

I don't care who you vote for just as long as you do. Please, just vote. Even if you don't care for either of the Presidential candidates, there are local races where your vote can make a difference.

I have just come back from casting my vote for the next President of the United States. Although I didn't have any line at my polling place here in Central Jersey, the poll workers told me there were between 40-50 people waiting on line at 5:30 AM. (Polls open in NJ at 6:00 AM.)

I will be staying up tonight to watch the results as they come in -- and surely missing Tim Russert. I pray that the results are obvious tonight. I do not want a repeat of 2000. I want the people to decide who our next President is, not the Court.

So, if you haven't voted yet -- what are you waiting for?

2 comments:

Plant Girl said...

I turned in my absentee ballot yesterday! I was concerned about the wait times and a cranky toddler who hates to be restrained, so I figured absentee was the best option.

Stacey said...

I voted two weeks ago--so glad we have early voting here in Kansas. I couldn't wait for today to do it. (And boy, am I smiling now!)