19 October 2008

Six Months Later...


Allaire State Park
Originally uploaded by MarciNYC

It's officially 6+ months since I joined Weight Watchers. While this isn't the best recent pic of me (love that I'm looking over my glasses), it's from yesterday's walk with the dogs at Allaire.

As of this morning, I'm down a whopping forty-seven pounds. I'm still agog that I've lost that much weight and sort of depressed that I got to the point that I have that much (and more) to lose to get down to a healthy weight.

I did go to WW on my birthday, but I went to an earlier meeting than my usual 10:30 AM slot due to other engagements that morning. I lost 0.6 lbs last week, which I was grateful for after the bridal shower on Saturday, but what I was really celebrating was the fact that I had been there 6 months, I continued to lose weight (some weeks better than others) and the fact that I had a great support group in the others at my meeting and a fabulous group leader. I got a little teary eyed sharing my thanks with the members of the 9 AM meeting -- but really if it wasn't for other members sharing their successes and reminding me that I'm not alone on this journey, I don't know what I was have stuck with it as long as I did.

It's not been easy - I've had my share of roadblocks. (As much as I'd like it to be, candy corn is NOT a vegetable.) But I've also learned that I can eat whatever I want -- within reason -- and still follow the program. Plus, exercise is a lot more enjoyable than I ever thought it could be. I still don't like running or lifting weights, but I've discovered that I really enjoy the aquatics and yoga classes at the gym. The verdict is still out on pilates.

Speaking of the gym -- I had my quarterly assessment with the nurse last week. My initial assessment was in July -- since then I'm down 19+ lbs and have lost 2" each in my bust, waist and hips. I compared that to my initial measurements from when I went to try on bridesmaid dresses in March and I'm down a total of 18" inches (all inclusive).

I'm down 3-4 sizes depending on the item and designer. Mark used to tease me about shopping at what he calls "The Forgotten Woman" -- now I'm shopping in the misses department. I'm wearing mediums in some items -- which absolutely floors me. I've cleaned out my closet again. I've got plenty of new tops to get me through winter, but I need trousers/slacks still. Clothes shopping is fun again. (Okay, I still don't love it -- but I don't get as frustrated as I used to get.)

I've still got a ways to go to reach my goal -- about another 30 lbs. I'd love to be able to do before I reach my 1 year anniversary, but it'll come off in due time as long as I stay on program. Whenever I'm tempted by a not-so-smart choice, I hear the voice of my meeting leader in my head asking "What do you want more?" Nine times out of ten that's enough to make me put down the offending item. However, sometimes one just has to has to have the cheesecake.

Here's to hitting 50 lbs total before we leave for our cruise next month. It would be nice to hit that milestone beforehand, but I'll still have to watch myself while I'm on the ship.

3 comments:

Plant Girl said...

Congrats on an amazing accomplishment!

You should be incredibly proud of what you've done in the last 6 months. 47 pounds is fantastic!

It feels good, doesn't it?

Nic said...

Congratulations on your achievement! Way to go!

lorem ipsum said...

Marci, I can't stop smiling. You're such an inspiration in so many ways! xo