20 August 2008

Rant du Jour


lucite bracelet
Originally uploaded by MarciNYC

Over the past week, I’ve received three invitations from friends/neighbors/co-workers to various jewelry parties – Lia Sophia, Silpada, you name it. I’ve wavered between finding it amusing to being slightly annoyed with these invites.

In the case of my co-worker who probably doesn't know what I do outside of my day job, I’m more forgiving. With my friends and neighbors, it’s been quite hard to sit there with a smile on my face and politely decline when I’m fighting back a response along the lines of “Uh, hello? You know I *make* jewelry. Whatever gave you the slightest idea that I’d want to purchase some overpriced, mass-produced crap?

Granted, there’s a time and a place for this sort of jewelry – just not in my jewelry box.

I’ll admit I can’t make everything – either because I’m not skilled in the technique or I have no interest in working with certain materials, so I am still in the market to purchase jewelry from others. But I don’t want to have the same jewelry everyone else has – which is why these jewelry parties turn me off so. I want to buy handmade. I want jewelry that is different from what everyone else wears. I like to support these artists at the local craft fairs or the not-so-local artists who sell their wares on etsy. (I may sound a bit like an etsy shill, but I’m in awe of the work of some of the sellers there – jewelry or otherwise.)

I’ve been considering hosting an open house/trunk show event and asking a couple of my fellow EtsyNJ team members if they’d be interested in participating – but the reality is that my autumn schedule is already pretty solidly booked. Off in the distance is an idea of hosting a jewelry party of my own after hours at work. Just things that are mulling around in my head, but that would possibly help me and my work get noticed – and in the long run, maybe fend off some of these unwanted invites. In the mean time, I’m looking forward to a day in the studio on Friday. Ideas are bouncing around in my head and I’d like to either get them down on paper or the beadboard.

2 comments:

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

I love the open house idea.

As for the jewelry parties, I've started backing out of them, too. I'm not thrilled with the "high quality" that's offered. And I'm a one-of-a-kind girl, too.

Stacey said...

I'm with you on this one! Your work is sooo much more beautiful and unique...I guess sometimes, even friends and neighbors can be pretty dense. LOL

Thanks for your comment on the MI photos. I'm so glad I was able to bring back some good memories for you! My parents are in Glen Arbor, and that's where I took photos of the lake. My childhood summers were spent in Charlevoix and Petosky too...who knows? Maybe we crossed paths as kids once upon a time. :)

I'm off to add your blog to my "crafty friends" list on my blog and to my favorites as well.