26 August 2008

Back in the Saddle Again

I hit a little bump in the road last week - gaining 2.6 pounds. It's my biggest gain since I started Weight Watchers back in March and although I was totally aware that I was slipping up during the week, I couldn't quite get myself back on track. When the scale told me that I gained, that was the impetus needed to shape up. I was hoping to reach my goal of 40 pounds lost by Labor Day weekend, but unless I lose 5 pounds this week, it ain't happening. That's okay - I'll get there.

I was doing the WW Flex Plan for the first several months, but in early August, I switched over to the Core Plan to see if I could give my weight loss a jump start. It worked. I lost 5+ pounds lost that first week on Core; almost 2 pounds the second week. (Let's not remember the Week 3 slip-up, please.) Core is a bit more challenging to me - I have to really think about what I'm eating and plan ahead. But when I do that, I find that I'm not nearly as hungry throughout the day. Yes, the pasta/rice/potatoes are limited -- but considering I can have them once a day, I'm not missing them too much. (I still haven't acquired a taste for whole wheat pasta, but that's a topic for another day.) I find that Core forces me to eat a more balanced diet - ensuring I get in my dairy and fruit/veggie servings more easily than Flex. Those 100 calorie packs are just a little too tempting on Flex, but on Core I don't want the 'spend' any of my weekly point allowance on them when I'm just as satisfied with fruit, popcorn, or (my new favorite) pudding.

Last week was a bit challenging because I ate out a lot -- probably the most I've ate out in a single week since I started WW. I made smart choices at times, but other times the menu was so limited I just fell back and ordered the usual. My gain wasn't unexpected, but I had hoped it wouldn't be as bad as it was.

That said, I have had fun trying new recipes since I've been on the Core Plan. Two of my favorites (provided the links work) are Spicy Black Bean soup and Pan-Seared Chicken with Garlic Sauce. I modify the soup slightly -- as I don't like corn in soups, I substitute an extra can of black beans instead. The chicken is wonderful -- but as the recipe calls for 12 cloves of garlic, you better like garlic. I served the chicken with brown rice -- the rice soaks up the extra sauce on your plate and gives it an delicious flavor. The other WW recipe that's become a staple in this house is the Moroccan Chicken with Chick Peas (or as it's now known amongst my friends - Mo Rocca Chicken). This dish calls for white rice, but as I prefer brown rice, that's what I use.

I'm still focused on my goal to lose more weight. I'm pleased at (and proud of) how far I've come since March, but realize I have a ways to go yet. I think I'm FINALLY down to what I was (or less) on my wedding day. If I had my wedding dress here, instead of at my Mom's in Ohio, I'd try it on to see if it fits. I feel a thousand-fold better - I have much more energy and stamina. I don't remember where Mark and I were a few weeks ago, but I flew up a flight of stairs effortlessy - before I would be winded before I got to the top of the stairs.

While I'm not wearing a bikini this summer as my husband hoped, I'm optimistic that next year it may be possible. (Not really sure I want to wear one as I've always have thunder thighs, but we'll consider it.) I'm enjoying discovering new foods and find that I'm not missing a lot of things that I used to eat. Although yesterday I did splurge on a Goo Goo Cluster. K-mart had them on sale for $1/box, so I bought one and tried one. It was good, but I put the rest of them in the freezer. If I'm tempted in the future, I'll have to wait for it to thaw out.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

Congrats Marci! A small slip up isn't bad. I wish I had your perseverence! I'm proud of you and a little in awe that you can stick to it this long. You rock!