04 July 2008

Let's Get Physical...

Last Friday, I took the plunge and joined a gym. I'm not really one who enjoys going to the gym, but decided if I was going to be serious about losing this excess weight and keep it off, it was the next logical step, especially because I hate doing anything physical outdoors in the heat and humidity of summer.

I started to research gyms near me - looking at the facilities and their various amenities and in the end I opted to join CentraState Fitness & Wellness Center. Yes, it's more expensive that a lot of other gyms in the area, but when it came down to it, the facility, location, and their class offerings (as well as a pool!) were what sold me on the place. That and the fact that it's not a 'meat market' - there's people of all ages/shapes/sizes there. I felt really comfortable walking around during the tour.

I've been working out since last Saturday - taking advantage of the myriad classes. So far I've tried Gentle Yoga (which I really like and will be going to this morning), Zumba (what a workout!), Aqua Tone (damn, that's a work out) and have my eyes on belly dancing, ballroom dancing, and a couple other water classes. I'm not into spinning, so I won't be doing that.

I met with a personal trainer as well last week who put together a regimen for me using free weights and the machines. Of course I haven't bothered with that yet; I think I've forgotten some of what he showed me. I'll have to corner him to go over it again and start working that into my schedule.

So far I've been good at keeping to my commitment of 3x/week; I've been to the gym every day with the exception of Tuesday (bagpipe practice interferred). I'm even going to dash over there this morning for another yoga class and then hit the grocery store for our cookout fixings. There's so much to do there, I'm really glad that I decided to join this facility rather than any other. Now I just need to keep motivated and go regularly. So far, so good.

Apologies those of you who have that Olivia Newton-John song in your head now! I'm having a difficult time getting the video imagery out of my head.

3 comments:

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

What? The trainer didn't write it down for you?

Not so good...

Congrats on becoming a gym rat like me. I hope you become as addicted as I am.

marci said...

Oh yea, he wrote it down and showed me where to find my chart, but have I looked at it since Saturday? No. It's a mix of machines and floor stretches. I'm not so sure on the floor stretches/squats bit. I guess I should just pull my chart and ask.

I am enjoying it - most definitely the classes. I won't become a spin rat like you though. Just thinking about it gives me the shivers. (I find the spin room very intimidating.)

lorem ipsum said...

That's really awesome. Next thing you know, because of your example once again I'll be shelling out to work out too!

ps Being up at 330 is really weird.