11 July 2008

The Last 24 Hours...


Henry
Originally uploaded by MarciNYC

I came home from work last night to find Henry dazed and disoriented, collapsed in a pile of his own waste next to our wall unit in the family room. No idea how long he'd been there, but he was totally unresponsive when I called his name. I scooped him up, put him on his bed and called the V-E-T.

As I waited to reach them, I started to clean up the mess he had made. Ick. I got hold of the V-E-T and sobbed out my story to them. I really thought this was the end for my guy. I was told to bring him in and at this point I called Mark to tell him to meet me there when he got off the train.

I took Henry out back and hosed him off a bit -- he still wasn't able to stand. If I put him up on all four legs he was fine as I held him, but the moment I took my hands away, he collapsed. *sigh*

I wrapped him loosely in a towel and put him in my backseat for the ride to the V-E-T. (So glad my door is fixed!) He whimpered quite a bit on the way and struggled to sit up, but couldn't manage it. When we arrived, there were several other dogs in the waiting room, so I told the techs I'd wait outside until they were ready for him. I eventually brought him in as it was warm outside and he just laid on the seats in the waiting room. Even the techs who know how lively he usually is could see something was not right.

Mark arrived and it was our turn to see Dr B. Henry did manage to stand up and walk to the exam room - but very gingerly. When he hit the floor of the exam room though, he lost his footing and went boom. Dr B gave him a thorough exam and nothing was broken or sprained, but based on his scrapes (he's got big gash and bump on his nose) he thinks he fell and hit his head good. After much talk between us and Dr B, we opted to have him get an injection (anti-inflammatory) and take him home to see if he improves. If he perks up in the next day or so - great; if not, we'll have to make a decision on what we're going to do next.

I spent a good chunk of the night downstairs on the couch in the family room where he sleeps. Around midnight he started to cry and struggled to get up. He lost his footing on the family room floor so I helped him up and walked him out back. He was shaky, but he managed to get out to the grass and do his business. I brought him back in and settled him in on his bed for the night. He fell asleep and so did I. When I woke this morning he had gotten up and made it into the kitchen and was laying on the floor.

I don't really know what's going to happen, but after last night, I'm exhausted. I do think I'm going to head out this afternoon to look for some runners or throw rugs that I can put down so he can 'get a grip' and walk around a little easier. There's a few patches of bare floor which he struggles with, so I'll try to make him a path from his bed to his food dish to the door.

I'm not sure if we're nearing the end or he'll rally like he usually does when he has a bad spell. All I know is my heart was in my throat when I came home last night and found him laying there. When he didn't respond, I imagined the worst. I got a reprieve this time, but I"m not sure how many more times I'll be that lucky.

3 comments:

Nic said...

Fingers crossed for Henry, the Wonder Rebound Dog...

Plant Girl said...

My heart jumped too, just from reading that you had found him on the floor, unresponsive. My heart goes out to you guys. I hope that he makes a full recovery.

Valerie said...

Oh how sorrowful and sad. I hope that he springs back, because this is heart wrenching, especially for you. Plenty of good vibes are headed his way. Poor guy.