18 July 2008

Hank's Legacy


Henry
Originally uploaded by MarciNYC

Today, it finally hit me that Henry's gone and nothing's gonna bring him back. (Well, his ashes will be here soon enough.) There's an empty space in the house, but at the same time, I feel a little relieved because I don't have to worry about what I'm going to come home to each night.

The cats are starting to venture downstairs again. Sadie actually came into the family room and napped by the door to the patio for a bit. With a bit of luck they'll not be intimidated by the girls and I can move the litter box back into the laundry room. Henry liked the cats just a little too much -- he didn't quite understand they weren't squeaky toys -- so they've been living primarily upstairs for the past 20 months. I think they'll be glad to have the full run of the house again.

This photo was taken on the Sunday before we said good-bye. I brought him upstairs into our guest room and just lay down and hugged him and told him how much I loved him. He didn't often stay in bed with us, but he let me hold him for quite sometime that evening. Thanks for that quality time, Hank.

Over the course of the past week, I've been cleaning house - taking his stuff that the girls can't eat/use and giving it away. I've sent some stuff to a friend in Texas who does rescue, given odds and ends away to co-workers for their dogs, and lastly I've got a bag of stuff to take up to another friend tonight to see if her dogs can use it. I like to think that Henry's smiling down on me and saying "Way to go!"

Thanks to those of you who've made a donation to the Monmouth County SPCA in Henry's memory. I hope that another dog (or cat) will benefit from your generosity and be well cared for until they find a forever home as Henry did.

No comments: