03 July 2008

Clothes Make the Man

Yesterday morning, I was awoken at 4:45 AM by my husband with the pressing question, "Do I have any clean underwear downstairs in the laundry room?" The answer was "no" which meant he was faced with the decision of wearing a recycled pair or going commando.

When I called him at work later that morning he said he was still 'mad at me' for letting him get into this predicament. I don't know about you, but if I were low on underwear, I think I'd say something before I needed them -- or do a load of wash myself.

I planned to stop at Target on my way home - and I did, but I forgot to look for new undies for him. He got home and asked if he had any clean underwear. Oops!

I ran out to K-Mart to see if I could find some. Plenty of boxer briefs (his style preference) but not in white. I wanted to go to Kohl's for myself anyhow, so I hopped in the car and ran down there.

I managed to find two packages of white Hanes boxer briefs in his size, and plenty in other colors. I asked the woman straightening the shelves if there were any more in the stockroom and she graciously offered to go have a look, although she didn't promise anything. While I waited for her to return, I called home to ask Mark if he would consider any color but white.

His response? "Hell no! What do you think I am, a gigolo?" It was all I could do to keep from bursting out laughing. I couldn't bear to tell him it would take more than underwear. *g*

Fortunately, Kohl's had some more white boxer briefs in the stockroom and as of this morning, they are washed. Tonight the 16 new pairs will be folded and put in his dresser drawer. I think we're good until he starts pitching the holey pairs again.

---

P.S. I've told this story to various friends. My favorite response was (paraphrased): Can you imagine if he had an accident and had to be rushed to the ER while wearing red underwear? One look at that and they'd think, "He's not a librarian, he's a gigolo!" I'm still laughing about that one.

Happy 4th of July to the rest of my fellow Americans. I'll be joyful next year when we can celebrate our independence from GWB.

4 comments:

BT said...

Oh Marci, I had to laugh at the knicker saga. Tell him to live dangerously and try cream!!!
Gina
x

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Maybe we shouldn't tell him that one of my fictional rock stars refuses to wear white. Anything. No white on that boy's body.

lorem ipsum said...

I may never be able to look at him again without laughing.

Nic said...

I bet next time he's down to his last pair he does the laundry ... or the run to the stores :o)