20 June 2008

I'm Henry VIII, I Am...

Last night I started to watch Season 1 of Showtime's The Tudors. I'm just a wee bit obsessed with Hank and his wives, so I was disappointed when we got rid of the premium channels and I wasn't able to watch this during its initial run. After three episodes, I'm over that disappointment.

The show is interesting, to say the least. There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to the liberties taken with history/characters. Jonathan Rhys-Meyers, while easy on the eyes, is not Henry VIII to me. He just doesn't have the presence that I expected Henry would have -- he's dwarfed by so many other characters. Now the man playing Duke of Buckingham -- that's who should have played Henry.

The one positive comment - Sam Neill as Wolsey is perfectly cast. I'm already disliking him as much as I'm feeling pity for Thomas More. Whether that's from the show or just the fact that I know their history, I'm not sure.

The bad thing about watching The Tudors is like Titanic, you know what's going to happen. Or do you? With all the historical inaccuracies to date, perhaps not. Maybe in this version, Anne Boleyn won't be beheaded. *grin* (Yea, I know they got that right in Season 2.)

Although it's dreadful, I haven't removed the rest of Season 1 from my Netflix queue. I'm just wondering how much raunchier it can get -- did people *really* run around in dishabille all the time in Henry's court? I swear, I've seen more T&A in three episodes of The Tudors than I've seen in everything else I've watched year-to-date combined.

3 comments:

lorem ipsum said...

Oh yes, the decidedly short Jonathan Rhys-Meyers certainly chews the scenery, doesn't he? But the costumes were terrific. As for non-costume-focused scenes, wait till you get to the scene of Henry pleasuring himself and of course the notorious Henry-Anne sex scene in the final episode.

lorem ipsum said...

Okay, I'm looking at the picture amd I'm très confused. How did YOUNG Henry (foreground) get a painting of himself as OLD Henry (background)? Is there some Dorian Gray thing going on here?

Nic said...

As you know, I don't have a TV at home, but I caught an episode of this at a friend's.

It's wrong on so many levels - for a start, when Henry was courting Anne, he'd been married for nearly 30 years, was large, had suppurating sores on his legs and was a ginger ...

Sigh.

And it was shown on BBC2 - which is usually home to serious stuff.

Sigh.