03 May 2008

Remembrance of Foods Past

As I was surfing this morning, I came across a forum post discussing foods you loved as a child which you miss/can't get anymore. Oh man - was that a trip down memory lane. Some of the things that sprung up in my mind:
  • Teaberry Gum
  • Beeman's Gum
  • Zotz
  • Wacky Wafers
  • Orange Sherbet Push-ups
  • Fruit Brute cereal
  • Slap Stick Suckers
  • Sugar Mama and Sugar Daddy pops
  • Slo-Poke Pops
  • Turkish Taffy
  • Jell-O Gelatin Pops (and Pudding Pops to a lesser degree)
  • Goo Goo Clusters (still around, but hard to find in Jersey)
  • Made-Rite Cheese Popcorn (still around, but not nearly as good as it was 20+ years ago)
  • Pepperoni Bread - from some place in Pinconning, Michigan
  • Jolly Rancher Stix - Fire or Fruit Punch
  • My grandmother's cinnamon rolls
As for the cinnamon rolls, my grandmother's been dead 20+ years and I stil salivate thinking about them. I'm too lazy to make them myself even though I have the recipe somewhere - or my Mom does. The closest thing I've found to them are the cinnamon rolls from Specialty's in Seattle.

So, what foods/snacks from your childhood do you miss?

3 comments:

The Cartoonist's Wife said...

Chuckles, Callard & Bowser licorice toffies and Certs 'fruit' flavor candies.

Occasionally in my travels I'll come across Chuckles, usually at a gas station in the middle of nowhere, or in a vending machine. So when you're on the road and stop for gas, check out the candy aisle--you'll never know what you'll find!

Plant Girl said...

If you have Schwan's delivery in your area, you can still get the orange sherbet push-ups. Yum!

The Cartoonist's Wife said...

Plant Girl--I just figured out who you are! I logged in to my old blog (lifeissweetbaby) and found your congratulations. THANK YOU!