19 May 2008

Prayers for Handsome Hank


Henry
Originally uploaded by MarciNYC

I took Henry to the V-E-T this morning. I called to see if I could get him in today because he hadn't improved much since I took him off the Previcox last week. They had a 9:15 opening and it was 8:55 -- I told them I could be there in 20 minutes and I was. (My husband will say that's probably the fastest I've covered that stretch of road. Ever.)

Anyhow, the exam was routine until Dr B got to the prostate exam. In the 2 weeks since he was there for his vaccinations, his prostate is much larger. While there are myriad reasons for this, we can't rule out the Big C without additional tests. So I left him to the care of Dr B and his staff and will await results of his bloodwork and X-ray to determine what the next step will be.

It's been a rough couple of weeks with his accidents in the house - I'm getting tired of cleaning the floors and his dog bed daily - but I am not ready to say good-bye to him yet. He's my first dog and very special. But I know in the end I'll do what's best for him.

I truly hope this isn' t the last photo I've taken of my precious pup.

3 comments:

lorem ipsum said...

Handsome Hank is a fighter--he's not going anywhere yet!

Hugs to you both.

Valerie said...

Aww, he's got good, healthy thoughts coming his doggy way. I hope the results aren't what you dread. :(

Karyn said...

Your post almost brought tears to my eyes. I'm dealing with a senior dog myself. I hope Henry is feeling happy and healthy in no time. :)