17 April 2008

A Whole New Me


Florida - December 2007
Originally uploaded by MarciNYC

Last night as I was running out to the grocery (or supermarket as my husband insists I call it), I dropped my keys between the driver's seat and the console. As I reached down to get them, I must have hit my nail at the right angle and with the right velocity to crack it.

My new LCN nail was hanging off my real nail at a precarious angle. I managed to "pop" it back in place, but it was obvious that a repair was necessary. I called up the salon, hoping to be able to sashay in there tomorrow after work, but was told to come over right away. Apparently sometime in the past few months, they've expanded their hours to be open until 8 PM every night. Sweet!

I made it there in no time and about 30 minutes later, I had a new nail to match the other 9 perfectly manicured nails. I also learnt that I have to oil my LCN nails at minimum of once a day, twice if possible. The tech who did my original set didn't bother to tell me last week. *sigh* So I got a bottle of nail oil to use while I was at the salon last night.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with my new nails although it's a bit difficult to hold a pen. I have traditionally kept my thumbnails short on purpose. They're not that much longer, but just enough so that I can't quite hold my pen comfortably. I think I'll have them shortened when I go in for my fill next week. I was so impressed by the tech who did my repair last night that I rebooked my fill-in with her.

---


On the weight loss front, I continue to drop the excess poundage. For those who like visuals - the weight I've lost to date is roughly equivalent to two 5 lb bags of potatoes and 6 sticks of butter. I've lugged enough groceries home to know carrying just one bag of taters home is a chore. (Especially when you have to walk several blocks with your groceries!)

Friends and co-workers are noticing the weight loss, as are some workers at stores I regularly frequent. I haven't noticed it quite myself - but some of my clothes are feeling a bit roomier. I stopped at Sears on Monday night (it's on the way home) and purchased a few sale items from their Lands' End shop. (As much as I love Lands' End stuff - the misplaced apostrophre really bugs me, even though they explain why it's that way on their website.) I originally picked up a few shirts in XL, but put them back and got the L instead. I'm glad I did. The L shirts fit well - the XL definitely would have been too big. Mark asked me if I still had to shop at the "Forgotten Woman" (I'm not sure if that's an actual shop or a name he applies to all plus-sized shops). For the time being, my top half is back in misses' sizes, but my bottom half still needs women's sizes. I think it's gonna be a while coming for me and my hips to get back into missy sizes, but I'm working towards that goal.

We're heading to his sister's on Saturday for the Passover Seder. I was sort of dreading that since I didn't know what I was going to eat. So I called her yesterday to find out what she was making and to make sure there'd be a baked potato for me. (There will be - yea!) So I'll make the potato the bulk of my meal and nibble on the other goodies.

It's been a mixed week foodwise for me - had a work lunch on Monday which blew my point allotment out of the water, but since then I've struggled to meet my daily points goal the past two days. Today is starting to be another one of those days, but I think I'll manage to get there, even if I have to nibble on a chunk or two of cheese this evening.

I'm quite pleased with my Weight Watchers experience this time around. Although I tried it prior to getting married I didn't have much success. I'm committed this time around and Mark's been quite supportive as well. I'm halfway to my 10% goal, so if I continue losing at the same rate, I should easily make that by mid-May. I think the bridesmaid's dress I ordered for my friend's wedding is going to be a bit big on my when it finally comes in. That's okay though -- I'd rather it be too big than too small.

Since I'm starting this journey, I decided I should document it in photographs - hence this photo which was taken in December 2007. I weighed then about what I weighed when I started Weight Watchers - plus or minus a pound or two. So I figure at the beginning of each month I'll take a new photo. Just so I can compare and see what I look like as the weight comes off. As I said before, others see it, but I don't quite see it yet.

3 comments:

Plant Girl said...

Congrats on the weight loss!!! That's fantastic.

I struggle to notice when my body is changing too, although other people comment. I only tend to see it when I buy clothes and need smaller sizes. So you getting the L shirts last night should be confirmation for you. ;)

The Cartoonist's Wife said...

I'm super proud of you too! Seriously, you inspire me, and it's thrilling to see you get there!

And 'The Forgotten Woman'... If that's not the name of a store, it should be!

Nic said...

Congratulations on the weight loss - I'm back on the wagon myself after putting back rather too much of the 45 pounds I lost 18 months ago!

Go for it!