25 March 2008

One Ounce at a Time

On Palm Sunday, Mark and I both started Weight Watchers. It's been 8 days now, and I've been doing really well with the Flex Plan (points). I weighed in yesterday, and despite going out to dinner on Saturday and having a potent potable (there's a Jeopardy reference for you!) -- I lost 3.8 lbs.

Although I thought I would struggle with finding foods to eat and stay within my points (26 per day, currently), I've discovered with a little forethought, it's not too difficult. I've had a few days where I was under my point limit significantly, but couldn't eat a single thing more.

It's been interesting to see how I look at food now. On Saturday, Mark and I went up to the mall to find him a suit - we passed Auntie Anne's, Mrs Fields, Starbucks, Smoothie King, Haagen Daaz, and many more. Mark asked me if I wanted "X" each time we passed and I responsed "no" everytime. Even afterwards, when we went to Jersey Freeze, he got a milkshake (low fat ice cream, skim milk) and I got nothing.

Some of my favorite snacks that I've discovered since starting:
  • Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches (2 point) - not a skimpy sandwich, these are delicious! We bought a mega-pack of the chocolate/vanilla mix at Costco this weekend. Chocolate for Mark, vanilla for me.
  • Sugar Free Jell-O (0 points for one individual cup; 0.5 points for three) - Jell-o has become a standard part of my breakfast and evening snack. Some people don't care much for it, I happen to love it.
  • Fiber One Oats & Caramel bars (2 points) - I bought a box of these with some hesitation as I wasn't sure I'd like them. Oh man. I called up my Mom after having the first one. It was bliss. Generally have 1-2 of these per day - and with 35% of the recommended amount of fiber, I'm regular.
  • Laughing Cow Light Swiss Cheese (1 point per wedge) - Mmmm, cheese. I'm a cheese addict, but unfortunately, most of the cheeses I enjoy would wipe out my points allotment in one sitting. I found the Laughing Cow Light Swiss at Costco this weekend and to my delight 1 wedge and 5 Carr's Table Water crackers are only 2 points! It's just enough to satisfy me -- and it helps me with my dairy requirement since I don't drink milk.

I'm still having a difficult time trying to figure out what to make/eat for dinner. I love chicken (could eat it every day and pretty much do), but Mark's not a fan of it. I've fallen for the Perdue Perfect Portions Tomato Basil chicken breasts (3 points) and made that with a cup of brown rice for dinner last night. Mark opted to make himself tuna salad instead.

My goal this week is to spend a little time on the WW site and see if I can find some recipes that will appeal to both of us. He's keen on salmon, but at 6 points per serving, I'd rather have a chicken breast and rice - much more filling to me. Unfortunately, he's not amenable to trying other fish - and I really don't love salmon all that much. It's to me what chicken is to him.

With an initial loss of 3.8 lbs, I've got only 17.2 to go to meet my first mini goal. I'm not 100% certain that the goal weight the website gave me is realistic -- it's the at low end of my ideal weight range. But, I'll keep counting my points and making an effort to lose weight. Despite Mark's optimism, I don't think a bikini is going to be in the cards this summer.

If there's anyone else out there doing WW (or has done it in the past) and has some great recipes to share -- please comment!

2 comments:

The Cartoonist's Wife said...

Well, that took about five minutes. I'm joining too!!!

Valerie said...

Good luck! I'm a big fan of Skinny Cow, but it's kind of hard to find I've noticed, at least at the places I shop. I think they have cones too. You also might want to try (or look it up on WW if you can) No Pudge Fudge Brownies. It's pretty good for fat free brownie mix.