29 February 2008

Happy Leap Day - Part Deux

Whew! Am I glad this week is over. It's been exhausting - and I'm looking forward to doing nothing but vegging tomorrow. Sunday is the St Pat's parade in Belmar (yea, I know it's about 15 day early), so I'll have to rest up for that.

I've been doing a bit of soul searching lately and come to the realization that I'm not happy at my job. Content, yes - but it's not what I want to do for the rest of my life. So now I've found myself weighing my options - do I want to look for other opportunities within the company? Do I want to look outside? Do I want to go in a completely different direction?

One thing that I've been intrigued about for a few years is a couple of courses offered at the local community college. The course descriptions are:
ARTS-161 (HU) Jewelry I; 3 credits
Students will be introduced to the basic metalworking techniques, and the use of specialized tools and equipment employed in jewelry making. Emphasis will be on designing and creating finished pieces of fabricated and cast jewelry. Students will be acquiring their own metal, stones and other materials needed for the projects. Extra assisted studio time will be made available to work outside of class.

ARTS-162 (HU) Jewelry II; 3 credits
This course is a continuation of Jewelry I. Students will work with advanced techniques in casting and fabrication and will be introduced to etching, enameling and anodizing. Emphasis will be on experimentation with materials and techniques, and on designing and creating original, finished pieces of jewelry. (Prerequisite: A grade of “C” or higher in ARTS 161)
I really would like to get more into working with metals, but I'm just not certain if a formal classroom/studio is the way to go. Especially considering that I've never had any formal art training - and I can't draw a wink. (Stick figures and houses are the extent of my drawing talent.) It probably is the most cost-effective method - a full term of coursework versus a class here and there. But silver is getting close to $20/ounce, so the additional materials wouldn't exactly be cheap either.

Over the next few weeks and months I'm going to take a good hard look at myself, my goals and try to figure out what I want to do with my life. I don't want to sit home all day - that gets boring after a while - but I would like to do something I enjoy. We're paying off a significant chunk of our debt soon, so I'm looking at the financial picture to see if we can swing it if I should take a cut in pay.

Enough of my ramblings for now. We're off to St Stephen's Green (Publick House) for a bit of Irish music and a pint or two of Guinness in a bit. I think I'll take the dogs for quick spin around the block beforehand.

3 comments:

Nic said...

You have mail :O)

The Cartoonist's Wife said...

Do it -- we're behind you 100%!

xo

sheasy said...

Oh, you MUST take that class. I think you will be surprised how many people in your class are a lot like you! I've taken some basic drawing classes at our local community college and made some great friends. Keep in mind: everyone there wants to LEARn something, so you are in the right place. Great place for motivation and rejuvenation.