24 January 2008

Let's Talk About Books...

I haven't really talked much about my other passion - books - on this blog, but those who know me in real life know that I'm a bibliophile. The "recently read" section to the right over there is courtesy of LibraryThing which is where I've been cataloging what I've read/own for the past few years.

Earlier this year they started an Early Reviewers program where they partnered with publishers to get review copies of books out to LT users to read and review. To date, I've requested several and recieved a few. Who doesn't like free books?

Tipperary by Frank Delaney was the first book I received. I tried, but I had great difficulty following the story as it jumped between time periods. I eventually gave up.

The Pirate's Daughter by Margaret Cezair-Thompson was the second book received. I'm sad to say that it's still sitting on my dining room table unread. I guess this is a good motivation tool to get me to move it up closer to the top of Mt TBR. Perfect timing as I'm just finishing up another book.

This week, I received notification that I'll be getting two books.

The Moon in the Mango Tree by Pamela Ewen
The Translator: A Tribesman's Memoir of Darfur by Daoud Hari

Wow! Take about completely different genres. I'm thrilled to be getting both these books, but not sure which one I'm more excited about.

Tipperary is long gone (swapped on BookMooch), but if you're interested in any of the three remaining books, just leave a comment. It'll encourage me to read them more quickly than I otherwise would. Plus, I'll be glad to pass them along to someone else who's interested.

And if you're an avid reader/bibliophile and don't have an LT account yet, what's stopping you? Go on, sign up and catalog your library -- then check out the Early Reviewers offerings.

3 comments:

Valerie said...

You know I clicked through on your thingie the other day, wondering what that was. I was intrigued by it, but just do not have the time to upload ALL my books to the list. PBS is bad enough. ;)

My TBR pile is huge. I got a new book 2 weeks ago with intentions on reading it because it's one of my favorite authors, but I'm in the middle of a series and just haven't gotten around to it. So, yeah, I feel your guilt with the TBR pile.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

You're not the first person to encourage me to do the Early Reviewer thing, but I'm still SO backlogged (as you may have noticed from some of my JEs) that I can't think about it yet.

Hopefully, I'll get caught up. But in the meantime, two books showed up yesterday, one for Front Street and the other 'cause the author saw me plug her at my place and offered to send me her latest. How could I refuse?

The Cartoonist's Wife said...

Finish a book? What's that again?

I know we talked about this, but I'd like to encourage anyone else reading this to give Frank Delaney's IRELAND a try. It's very long and we listened to it on CD (read in brogue by the author) over a number of months. It's wonderful -- a history of Ireland told through anecdotes from a mysterious traveler, a wandering storyteller who enchants a young boy who spends the next two decades pursuing the man and his tales, with a satisfying payoff after quite a bit of suspense. However, due to your troubles with the other book, I think IRELAND will remain the only one of his books I'll have read.