20 January 2008

I ♥ Belize


Cruise 2008 - Day 4
Originally uploaded by MarciNYC

I'm home from my cruise to the Western Caribbean (stops in Cozumel and Belize). A wonderful time - although it's damn good to be back in Jersey.

In short, I have NO desire ever to go back to Cozumel - unless Mark and I ever become certified to dive, but even that is questionable. However, I'm ready to turn around and go back to Belize in an instant. I fell in love with the country and want to see more. One day in port was simply not enough.

This picture was taken at Lamanai - one of the many Maya ruins scattered throughout the Belize countryside. We heard the howler monkeys as we were hiking though the site. We were lucky enough to "meet" a troop of monkeys (about 12) on this walk and several of us managed to get pictures of a couple of them feeding. Luckily they didn't pummel us with foliage or poop on us.

Lamanai was utterly fascinating. Unlike many of the Maya ruins I've been to in the past, which are a series of plaza squares, Lamanai is built along a lagoon. The jungle has reclaimed much of the site and only a few key buildings are excavated. According to our tour guide, there are over 1300 Maya ruins in Belize, but only approximately 13 are accessible to the public. I want to go back and see more.

Strangely, over dinner last night, as I was telling Mark all about the trip, he expressed an interest in going to Belize. But not on a cruise - he wants to fly directly there and spend a week. Perhaps we can make it happen!

Photos of the whole cruise are in my Flickr album now - feel free to look if you're interested. I got a little crazy with the sunrise/sunset photos - but the nice thing about digital photography is you can take as many as you want!

1 comment:

Valerie said...

Wow, those photos are amazing. This one is so cool:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/marcinyc/2204713607/