27 November 2007

Thirty Days of Thanks: Day 27

Today I am thankful for home. Considering Jersey is the butt of many jokes, I might be making some of you laugh when I say I am so glad to be back home in Jersey.

Yesterday was a travel nightmare - delays, airport closures, flight cancellations, mad scramble for a rental car, driving back to Cincinnati. Enough to make you want to pull your hair out. But somehow, despite me being hot and cranky, both Mark and I survived without killing one another.

The US Airways staff were incredibly helpful. They couldn't give us any financial compensation since the delays were 'weather related' but they did manage to book us on the the first flight out of Cincinnati - which is much closer to my Mom's house than Columbus is - with no change/penalty fees. (Hooray for US Air!)

The morning flight home was uneventful. We had the bulkhead seat which was nice - front row and first people off the plane. When we crossed the Walt Whitman back into Jersey I breathed a sigh of relief. When we walked through the door and the dogs greeted us, a smile broke across my face.

As a result of the flight debacle, I ended up burning my last 1/2 day of vacation time for the year. I got into the office right before 11 AM and left around 3 PM. I'm home now, laundry is being done, the dogs and cats have been fed and are getting lots of TLC. It's not even 7 PM yet, but the bed is looking quite cozy. I think I'll pop in a movie and watch for as long as I can keep my eyes open.

There's no place like home.
There's no place like home.
There's no place like home.

If only getting home were as easy as clicking my heels together and repeating that phrase over and over.

No comments: