17 November 2007

Thirty Days of Thanks: Day 17

Does the photograph give it away? Is it obvious yet that today's item for which I am giving thanks is four lads from Liverpool - John, Paul, George and Ringo? In other words - The Beatles.

Mark and I went to see The Fab Faux tonight - a Beatles tribute band. However, like Beatlemania and many other tribute bands out there, these guys don't imitate The Fab Four, they simply play their music. There's five in the Fab Faux - and except for the drummer, they all play a wide variety of instruments and take turns with the vocals. There's no dedicated John/Paul/George/Ringo.

I really enjoyed myself. The first act was a set of varied Beatles tunes - from all 'eras' (although that sounds funny, because The Beatles as a group didn't last that long). I don't remember 100% the full set list, but it went something like this:
  • Hold Me Tight
  • Back in the USSR
  • Dear Prudence
  • While My Guitar Gently Weeps
  • I'm a Losers
  • I Am The Walrus
  • Penny Lane
I was hoping the Fab Faux Fan would have the actual set lists up on his site, but not yet. It's not even 24 hours later and already I'm sh*t for brains.

The second set was Abbey Road in its entirety - which probably half the world or more knows. I had a huge revelation in the middle of the set when they played Oh! Darling - turned to my husband and said, "I had NO idea that was a Beatles song! I've only heard it a million times." Of course, George Harrison (my favorite Beatle) shines on Abbey Road - Something and Here Comes the Sun being two totally awesome songs. (Admittedly, the Lennon-McCartney tunes are pretty damn good too, but you'll never talk me out of my "George is the best Beatle" mindset.)

The encore was Got to Get You into My Life - which was a great upbeat song to have in your head as you left the theatre.

All in all, a fun afternoon. I'm not sure if it was the fact that we were at the 4 PM "kids show" (as Mark called it), but the energy level of the audience was next to nothing. There were moments, but for the most part, it was like watching/listening in your living room. If I were to see them again, I most definitely would be purchasing tickets to the 8 PM show. Tickets for the 2008 show at the State Theatre will be going on sale on Monday morning. I'm already contemplating purchasing them.

But, back to The Beatles...

On the way home, I phoned my mom and asked her if she remembered the hype surrounding The Beatles. I'm obviously too young to remember, although they were still together when I was born. I've seen the films with the girls screaming, crying and passing out. There's NOTHING in my generation that's caused this sort of hysteria. I can't even imagine what it was like. My mom shared her memories of The Beatles, the hysteria, and watching them on The Ed Sullivan show. Funny, I never really thought Mom was 'into' The Beatles, but she's of that generation - guess it was kind of hard to miss.

I'm thankful for the musical legacy that John, Paul, George and Ringo have left us. Even after the demise of The Beatles, they continued making music on their own - many songs of which are classics. (Although that dreck McCartney wrote following the 9/11 attacks should be banned from the airwaves and all copies destroyed. *shudder* I can't even say the name of it -- but you know what I'm talking about. No pun intended.)

Now, if only I could get some Beatles music off iTunes. *sigh* Would you believe we don't own any Beatles CDs? I guess I'm gonna have to join my friend Susan and Rob Zombie and be one of the last few people to actually purchase CDs.

---

And in the end
The love you take
Is equal to the love you make

3 comments:

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Ooh, thanks for the shout-out!!

I'm finding that Rob and I really aren't the only ones; there are more of us CD buyers than we'd realized.

Let me know which Beatles discs you buy!! That's some good stuff!

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Yummy picks. And I believed you when you said you'd been lurking; I am lurking more now than ever before; I know how it goes!!! :D

kecia said...

marci - i ADORE the Beatles!!!! you let me know if you ever go see a tribute band again!!!! i have such good memories of listening to them as a child. thanks for sharing. (p.s. love surf taco too!) why don't we meet there for lunch soon?
kecia