12 November 2007

30 Days of Thanks: Day 12

I'm a bit late to the dance on this one seeing as Nov 4-10, 2007 was National Animal Shelter Appreciation Week. However, it's never too late to give thanks to my local shelter - the Monmouth County SPCA.

Four of the five animals that share the house with us are alumni of the Monmouth County SPCA. You can find Sadie & Lily's story on their website. (Excuse the typos that were my fault for not proofing my email to the SPCA.) I'm hoping eventually Henry's and Suki's stories will also be posted.

I give thanks for the Monmouth County SPCA's ceaseless efforts at rescuing stray, unwanted, abused or neglected animals. No adoptable animal is ever euthanised, but is cared for until they find a forever home, no matter how long it takes. I am incredibly blessed to have four wonderful animals who this shelter opened their doors to and provided with temporary food and shelter until they joined our family.

If you're looking for a pet, please consider a shelter pet. There are too many wonderful dogs and cats (and other critters) sitting in shelters hoping for a second chance at a new life. Not all shelters are non-kill; many will euthanise perfectly lovely animals simply because their 'time is up.'

Which leads to my next plea... If you do have animals - be a responsible pet owner and spay or neuter. It's the first step to solving the pet overpopulation problem. Wouldn't it be a wonderful world if there were no more homeless or unwanted pets?

Lastly, if you can't adopt, will you consider supporting your local shelter? The Monmouth County SPCA relies heavily on donations from people like me and you, as do many shelters around the country.

For my friends who may be considering a gift for me this holiday season, I'd be delighted if you'd consider a donation to the Monmouth County SPCA or your local shelter instead.

1 comment:

The Cartoonist's Wife said...

I was already considering making donations to our local humane society this year in honor of animal-loving friends, so it's good to know that it's welcome anywhere. (I was considering doing one of those Heifer International things, buying everyone a share of a certain piece of livestock, but wasn't sure how to handle the vegetarian who would surely be horrified knowing that 'her' animal wouldn't make it to the finish line.)